The advent calendars are through and so it is time to have a look at what was inside them. I’ve previously done a general review on beauty advent calendars, going through my reasoning on why I chose certain ones and why I rejected others. If you missed that post check out: Let’s talk beauty advent calendars 2018 – Look Fantastic vs Glossybox vs others
However, in that post I kept the products a secret as I didn’t want to spoil it for anyone. Now that the advent calendars are all done and dusted, it’s time to have a look at what products they contained and how the advent calendars fared.
Let’s have a look at the Look Fantastic beauty advent calendar 2018 and my overall comments.
- HD Brows LF Contour and Colour palette
- Filorga solution micellaire cleanser anti-age
- Percy & Reed Wonder Hair Balm
- Glam Glow gravity mud firming treatment
- BBB London Ultra Slim brow definer
- EH Brilliance facial oil
- Eyeko Black Magic mascara drama & curl
- Molton Brown jasmine & sun rose bath & shower gel
- Regenerate enamel science advanced toothpaste
- Omorovicza Moor cream cleanser
- Rituals The Ritual of Sakura body cream
- Grow gorgeous Huckening hair & scalp mask
- Balanceme gradual tanning drops
- Lipstick Queen in Frog Prince
- Sleek i-Divine eyeshadow palette in a new day
- Doucce Friece & Fine graphic pen
- Caudalie Vinoperfect radiance serum correcting complexion
- First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair cream
- Espa Overnight Hydration therapy
- This Works Stress Check roll-on
- Mane n’ Tail Shampoo + Conditioner
- Look Fantastic brush
- Aromatotherapy de-stress muscle bath & shower oil
- Erno Laszio multi-task eye serum mask
- Illamasqua Beyond Powder Highlighter in Deity
The Look Fantastic 2018 advent calendar overall felt worse than last year but was still very good value for money and contained interesting products. However, if you are a beauty box subscriber you would have gotten those products in the Look Fantastic or other beauty boxes before, meaning that the advent calendar wasn’t very “unique”.
Here’s a quick overview of the pros and cons:
- Gorgeous calendar and fitting colour.
- Contains 25 gifts for 25 days – This might not be as important for all, as many celebrate only the first 24 days of December, but for me it would have been strange to not have anything on Christmas day.
- The 25th day gift was appropriate – I’ve had calendars in previous years where the Christmas day gift didn’t feel very special.
- There were no samples.
- There were 2 Look Fantastic branded products – This could be a negative too, but I personally think that it is nice that they are branding some items, it felt more personal.
- There was a shampoo and conditioner of the same brand and line and on the same day – How annoying is it to get a shampoo on one day and a conditioner on another or worse only get one of the two? Thankfully this wasn’t the case here.
- Overall the items contained were perfectly balanced between makeup, skincare and haircare/bodycare – The calendar contained 7 makeup items and 1 beauty tool, 9 body/hair care products and 8 face skincare items.
- Calendar takes a lot of space.
- Calendar is not easily re-usable – Once you take out all the daily drawers the calendar is still cut in a pattern meaning that you cannot use it as easily as shelfs or drawers for stuff. This is a shame as last year’s calendar was very re-usable as it contained daily boxes in drawers. You could throw away all the boxes at the end and use the calendar as beauty drawers, especially since the design and theme was all-year round appropriate.
- 2 of the products were skin shade sensitive so they wouldn’t be appropriate for all.
- 1 product was “out of place” – This is debatable actually as tanning oil drops can be used during winter too, it just didn’t feel relevant to me.
- There were no samples but the products were on the smaller size sometimes.
- The products contained were very similar and sometimes even the same as some that were contained in the monthly Look Fantastic beauty boxes and other beauty boxes. This means that this advent calendar wasn’t very unique and if you are a Look Fantastic beauty box subscriber you might have ended up with doubles or products you’ve tried before. You might think that this is a good thing, especially if you liked those products but in my opinion it isn’t as the main reason for beauty boxes and advent calendars is beauty product discovery which only works if you keep getting different items. Plus it lowers the excitement of the calendar.
Let’s have a look at the Glossybox beauty advent calendar 2018 and my overall comments.
- NARS lip glide in burning love
- Nip + Fab Hydrate Dragon’s Blood Fix Plumping Serum
- Yankee Candle The Perfect tree
- Philip Kingsley Body Building Hair Conditioner
- Greater than MDM Glow or Flow mascara
- 3INA the lip primer
- Patisserie de Bain Strawberry Cupcake Bath & Shower Créme
- Real Techniques brush
- Charles Worthington Hair Volume & Bounce
- Bare Minerals skinsorials skin longevity
- Bellápierre Kiss Proof lip finish
- MUA Cosmic Vixen eyeshadow palette
- Karmameju Charcoal Age Defence Konjac sponge
- Refibra haircare Maschera Riparatrice Concentrata restoring hair mask
- INCredible Jelly Show lip quenchier in ex revenge
- Pop beauty Metallic Copper single eyeshadow
- Luxie 522 tapered highlighter brush
- Lollipops Fluid Glowy
- Crabtree & Evelyn Rosewater & Pink Peppercorn hand therapy
- Steve Laurant lip gloss in eggplant
- Pixi by Petra Blush in beach rose
- Zelens Transformer Instant Renewal mask
- Eyeko FAT eyestick EFE566
- Mitchell and Peach Flora No.1 radiance oil
- Huda Beauty Winter Highlighter palette
The Glossybox 2018 advent calendar was the first full Glossybox beauty calendar (there was one last year with only 14 items) and it overall felt quite exciting and very good value for money. It contained interesting products but none of them were found in the monthly Glossybox beauty boxes which is nice, as the calendar was unique but still within the Glossybox character. I highly recommend this advent calendar for next year.
Here’s a quick overview of the pros and cons:
- Gorgeous looking calendar.
- Contains 25 gifts for 25 days – This might not be as important for all as many celebrate only the first 24 days of December but for me it would have been strange to not have anything on Christmas day.
- The 25th day gift was very appropriate – I’ve had calendars in previous years were the Christmas day gift didn’t feel very special.
- There were no samples (except maybe 1 product).
- There were more makeup items than anything else and I actually think that that’s why this advent calendar felt more exciting so they shouldn’t change that – The calendar contained 12 makeup items and 2 beauty tools, 6 body/hair care products and 5 face skincare items.
- There were no skin shade specific items.
- The products contained were interesting and within the Glossybox character so if you like the beauty boxes you will like the advent calendar too.
- You can earn some cash back by completing the product surveys on the Glossybox website after the 25th of December. They only take 2-3 minutes each and all together can earn you £6.75 which is a decent amount. You can spend that money on LookFantastic.com which means that this beauty box is actually only £68.25 if you are a Glossybox beauty box subscriber which is cheaper than the Look Fantastic one.
- Calendar is not easily re-usable – It’s actually more reusable than the Look Fantastic one, as you can take away all the day boxes and you will end up with shelfs. However, the shelfs are not very study and you would only be able to store very light items.
- 2 of the products were of the same category – There were 2 brushes, granted of different type but it still felt like a bit of a repeat.
- 1 product was “out of place” – This is debatable actually as I personally liked the candle but I understand those who got upset about this, it’s not a beauty item and therefore, shouldn’t be in a beauty advent calendar.
- The products contained were not balanced, there were very few face skincare or body/hair care products – The calendar contained 12 makeup items and 2 beauty tools, 6 body/hair care products and 5 face skincare items.
Both advent calendars were very good value for money, interesting and good for product discovery but the Glossybox one felt a lot more exciting, probably because it contained a lot more makeup items. However, on paper, the Look Fantastic one was better with the easier to open daily drawers and perfectly balanced product types. I will re-purchase both next year but if I could only afford one it would be the Glossybox one even though the Look Fantastic one is cheaper at first (£79 for LF or £69 if you are a subscriber and £99 for Glossy or £75 if you are a subscriber or £68.25 if you answer the Glossybox surveys at the end).
Beauty is a very personal thing, we all have different skin, requirements and biological build which can influence things. What worked for me might not work for you and vice versa. Have you ever tried these products? Did they work for you? Let me know your experiences below!
I am not affiliated with any company or brand. These are my views and experiences.
This article is from www.bonds-of-beauty.com. Click below to find me on: